Splendid Europe - Small Group, Preview 2022
Splendid Europe – Small Group, 2022
Just as Rome was the foundation for modern civilisation, so too is it the ideal start for this superb journey. Spend three days in this ancient city, visiting the Vatican Museums before they are opened to the public. Then follow in the footsteps of Julius Caesar, venturing north to the Rhine Valley, where he built the first bridge to cross the Rhine River. Splendid Europe is packed with fascinating experiences and thrilling interactions with passionate locals.
- Rome: Enjoy a Welcome Dinner with your fellow travellers at a uniquely Roman local restaurant.
- Venice: In St Marks Square at sunset, long after the day-trippers have gone to their mainland hotels, sip Bellini cocktails canal-side before dinner at a local restaurant.
- Lucerne: Choose from a selection of restaurants on your Dine-Around Evening and hand-pick your preferred ambience, cuisine and drinks for an intimate culinary experience.
- Amsterdam: Toast the culmination of your travels during a fabulous Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant.
- Dining Summary: 13 Breakfast (B), 5 Dinner with Wine (DW)
- Vienna: Choose between a visit to a traditional coffeehouse to enjoy Viennese specialities of coffee and Sachertorte or alternatively, listen to the musical masterpiece of Mozart, as you take to the floor in a Viennese Waltz dance lesson.
- Stanserhorn: Choose between a walk along beautiful scenic pathways for a chance to see native animals or alternatively, join a Swiss ranger to learn about local fauna and flora.
- Vatican City: Gain VIP access into the Vatican Museums and admire the famous Bramante Staircase. Witness the genius of Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel and view the splendid dome of St. Peter’s Basilica.
- Venice: Learn how the Venetian gondola is made on a visit to a traditional arts centre.
- Rhine Valley: The beautiful scenery of the Rhine River is punctuated by the many castles dotted along its banks. Delight in a private estate viewing of one of these Rhineland castles and learn more about these living cultural monuments located along the Middle Rhine.
Make Travel Matter
- Venice: Witness the ancient skill of glassblowing, now practised by precious few masters. Watch artisans create delicate works of art using rare traditional practices.The workshop advances SDG 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities. The workshops master craftsmen teach visitors about the traditional craft of glassblowing and its history which dates back to the 15th century. Every visit helps to support the workshop and the survival of this traditional craft.
Top Rated Highlights
- Scenic Drives: Relax and take in the scenery of the Apennine Mountains, Valley of the River Po, Styria, Swiss Alps and Rhine Valley.
- Rome: During your orientation with you Travel Director see the medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark’s Square and see the Doge’s Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark’s Basilica.
- Ljubljana: Explore this elegant capital with your Local Expert, to see the castle City Hall, Cathedral of St Nicholas and Triple Bridge.
- Maribor: Led by your Travel Director, explore this charming city, the second largest in Slovenia. Take a moment to appreciate the blend of old and new architecture.
- Vienna: Walk through the first district, Inner Stadt, as your Local Expert reveals why this is the historic core of the city. You will also tour the Ring Road to see the Hofburg Imperial Residence, Opera House, Parliament Building and Karlskirche.
- Salzburg: Join your Local Expert to visit the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace and Residence Square – both locations used in ‘The Sound of Music.’ You will also see the imposing fortress, the immense cathedral and Mozart’s birthplace on the lively Getreidegasse.
- Innsbruck: Enjoy an orientation with your Travel Director as you walk the narrow streets of the Old Town, lined with medieval houses and arcades, to see the Golden Roof.
- Vaduz: Admire the Royal family’s residence, Vaduz Castle, which overlooks the capital and is surrounded by year-round snow peaked mountains.
- Lucerne: During your orientation with your Travel Director, see the emotive Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
- Stanserhorn Summit: A spectacular journey by cable car and cogwheel railway takes you to the summit for expansive mountain views over Lake Lucerne.
- Amsterdam: Cruise along the old waterways, discovering the architectural gems of the old city, including mansions dating from the Golden Age of the 17th Century.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
- You may purchase arrival transfers from London Heathrow and …
Welcome to the Eternal City of Rome
Exploring Papal Rome
Rome at Leisure
Autostrada del Sole to Venice
Venice and the Magic of La Serenissima
Venice to elegant Ljubljana
Ljubljana to Vienna
Vienna and the Habsburgs
Salzburg and on to Innsbruck
Liechtenstein to Lucerne
Lucerne’s Lakes, Mountains and Lion
Legends along the Rhine
The Canals of Amsterdam